Friday, January 4, 2019

January 2019 Technology Update

HelpDesk: 36 tickets opened. 29 tickets closed. 7 open tickets. To create a ticket, go to http://loganelm.org/helpdesk and fill out the form. If you are requesting new accounts or resetting passwords for students, please include their grade level and student number.

Servers: New servers were installed at Laurelville and Washington over the holiday break. This is the last server project until we move into the new building.

Filtering: META Piketon will no longer provide filtering beginning July 1, 2019. I am in the process of adding Securly as our filter. It is free for chromebooks, so I deployed it today. One advantage of using Securly is they provide filtering both on and off campus. I will need to install certificates on our Windows laptops/computers and iPads. Guest network devices will be filtered automatically.

Windows 10: I am in the process of upgrading desktop computers to Windows 10. I have temporary computers available while I am installing the software. In some cases, it will be easier for me to copy your files to a computer already running Windows 10. If there are specialized apps, I will need to perform an in-place upgrade. My goal is to have every desktop on Windows 10 by the end of the school year. All laptops should be running Windows 10. If you know of a laptop that was missed (I found one over the winter break), please let me know.

Twitter: I have created a Twitter account for the tech department. The URL is https://twitter.com/loganelmtech. I will post updates and use it to post outages, especially when email is not available.


No comments:

Post a Comment